Pages

Welcome to the written depiction of my Namibian Experience with the Peace Corps! This blog will document the crazy adventure that I have embarked upon. I hope this blog will serve as a means to keep my family and friends updated on my adventures in Namibia, as well as, aid future volunteers in any way possible.

Monday, January 14, 2013

Ubuntu Philosophy

I figured I would start my first post by explaining my title. "I am because we are" is a rough translation of an African philosophy (Ubuntu) that my research has shown is a major part of the Namibian culture. Essentially, it means that humans cannot exist without the help of others. As in, the only reason I exist is because we all exist.  For a less crude explanation, maybe Wikipedia can help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(philosophy)

Side note:

I almost titled this blog "Land of the Brave" due to Namibia's National Anthem. I found the themes of bravery and freedom to be intriguing due to their similarity to the U.S.

"Namibia, land of the brave
Freedom fight we have won
Glory to their bravery
Whose blood waters our freedom
We give our love and loyalty
Together in unity
Contrasting beautiful Namibia
Namibia our country
Beloved land of savannahs,
Hold high the banner of liberty
     Namibia our Country,
     Namibia Motherland,
     We love Thee"

3 comments:

  1. I cant belive to tell you how proud I really am of you.I love you dearly and I hope you're safe and have the best experience of your life thus far

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to see the updates to this blog. I am very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete