Pages

Welcome to the written depiction of my Namibian Experience with the Peace Corps! This blog will document the crazy adventure that I have embarked upon. I hope this blog will serve as a means to keep my family and friends updated on my adventures in Namibia, as well as, aid future volunteers in any way possible.

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Across Cultural Lines


“Holy Cow! I’m in Africa!!” I say this to myself at least once a day, usually while I’m watching the sunset transform the sky into some new impossible color that my camera can’t seem to capture. I wonder if there will come a time when I’m no longer shocked by the fact that I’m here. Sometimes I forget entirely that I’m in another country until I hear or see something that reminds me of America and I have to step back and remember where I am. For instance, last week I was unpacking my things in my new host family’s house. I could hear the T.V. playing a commercial of a South African lotion in the other room. Suddenly, the commercial changes and I hear Ryan Seacrest asking me who’s going to be the next American Idol. I run to the next room in shock. After the iconic logo and theme music fade, I’m left staring at the T.V. for several minutes trying to figure out where I am. These moments happen often and leave me very dazed and confused.

Apart from these jarring realizations of my current locale, things haven’t been that different so far. This is mostly because I’m staying in one of the wealthier areas of Namibia, while in training, that has access to more resources. My final destination in this country will be much different, I’m sure. However, here is a small list of things that are not quite the same as I’m used to:

-Tomatoes, onions, and mayonnaise are used in most dishes prepared here. This doesn’t cause a problem for me, but I know many people back home who just gagged a little. Last night I had a “salad” that consisted of tomato paste, carrots, peppers, and onions. Sounds weird, but was delicious. My host mom, Alta, is going to teach me to make it.

-Butter is put on everything involving bread. Which doesn’t sound that odd… until you see it put on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
 
-Meat is a big deal here. Because of the land they don’t eat as many vegetables, so the meals are primarily meat. They say Americans eat too many vegetables and not enough meat. They also eat donkey and horse here. I haven’t tried it yet, but if I do I’ll let you know how it is.

Side note: Saturday is cultural day at training. Traditional foods will be prepared according to Namibian standards. Mupane worms are on the menu. Stay posted for a review J
 
-Children are in awe of white people. They stare unabashedly and will wave constantly. The other day I was riding home from training and saw a group of children waving at me from the window. I smiled and waved back. They began jumping up and down, waving and blowing kisses at me. All I could do was laugh.
 
-Gender roles and equality are quite different here. It is not uncommon for a man to have a wife and several girlfriends. The respective women of one man will all become friends and watch each other’s children. While walking home from a fellow volunteers host house in my neighborhood the other day, a man stopped me and asked if I was married. This is basically a pick up line here. I answered, “very married” and he smiled and said, “I’m married twice; it’s better that way.” 

3 comments:

  1. I honestly don't see why so many people make such a big deal over horse meat, they're just as much an animal as a cow (only better for you). Keep up the good work and don't forget to post pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal in my experience from the Marine Corps, it will take you at least one rotation of memorization events that have specific meaning to you and your left behind loved ones.
    For Instance, if you are going to be depressed for birthdays, easter, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Holloween, Graduations, Thanksgiving, christmas, yada,yada....then after that event passes, and sadness gives way to everyday life...so the shock fades into normality...
    unfortunately, when you come back home you will feel the same thing in reverse....people will feel you have changed while you were gone, and the reality is.....here will be your next Africa....
    BTW-if the Superbowl means anything to you {and it should} then have no fear....for you may not get sparklers, pumpkins, dressing and that perfectlly trimmed tree....Feb 2nd you will get the Super Bowl....just without the commercials...i know wtf, thats the only reason we (americans) watch it....
    Love your dad,
    the one person who understands every little phobia your going through

    ReplyDelete