Pages

Welcome to the written depiction of my Namibian Experience with the Peace Corps! This blog will document the crazy adventure that I have embarked upon. I hope this blog will serve as a means to keep my family and friends updated on my adventures in Namibia, as well as, aid future volunteers in any way possible.

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy Independence Day

So, I realize it’s been awhile since my last post. Sometimes my life just doesn’t seem interesting enough to write about for the world to read. For the past couple of weeks I have been running KAYEC by myself while my counterpart was in the hospital and recovery from an operation. That was definitely an interesting experience. The kids have mostly been great, though. They have been planning a fundraising event to bring in more money for KAYEC. They want to host a movie night and charge a minimal fee for entrance. I’ll keep you updated on their efforts.

Mostly my days are actually pretty boring at this point in time. I don’t have any other projects except KAYEC right now. So I usually just hang out with the kids and help them with their homework (this week was adding and subtracting decimals). The highlight has usually been eating dinner with my site mate, Nicole. I would probably starve to death without her. We have a lot of fun attempting to make Mexican food with Namibian ingredients. Sometimes we fail. Sometimes we don’t.

Some other random but interesting things that have happened since my last update:

I got bitten by a dog.

I did not get rabies from the dog.

My Ipod was stolen.

My camera was stolen.

My Kindle was stolen.

I had my first stomach virus. And yes, It was awful. I still cannot eat meat. Don’t ask.

My Kindle was returned with little to no damage. There was a short video and some notifications that the Elvis songs the kid tried to download could not be completed.

My camera was returned (without me ever realizing it was missing and without batteries)

My Ipod was returned dead with no headphones.

(these things were all returned thanks to the detective skills of my amazing Namibian counterpart and the Namibian police department. Chasing of the perp was involved in the collection of these items. And yes, I did sing the COPS theme song as I ran)

I moved into my new place. It’s absolutely wonderful. One day I will post pictures, I promise.

Well that’s it for this post.
Until next time,

Happy Independence Day America. You are missed. 

3 comments:

  1. I really love reading your posts. I miss you so much but I'm so happy dor you and the work that you're doing. I'm so proud that you're my best friend. Sucks that your stuff was stolen. Do you get care packages? I'd love to send you stuff and help out :) love and miss you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you too!! I do get care packages. from my understanding it can be a little pricey to send them depending on the weight. I love getting them or any other kind of mail, tho!! I'll message you my address :) Love and miss you, Kel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's okay. I don't mind. Any apecial requests? :)

    ReplyDelete