Pages

Welcome to the written depiction of my Namibian Experience with the Peace Corps! This blog will document the crazy adventure that I have embarked upon. I hope this blog will serve as a means to keep my family and friends updated on my adventures in Namibia, as well as, aid future volunteers in any way possible.

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Race, Tribalism, and Gender Equality

Hey there readers!!

So this post will be less about me and my life and more about Namibian history and society. I have been corresponding with one of my friends, who I met in our undergraduate program, via email. She has been asking me questions about Namibia and I loved one of her latest questions so much, I decided to make an entire blog out of it! Enjoy :)

"How do they view white people? Do you feel excluded? Have you noticed any racism between different tribes or any gender biases?"

These questions are extremely difficult to answer without getting into some of Namibia's history.

Namibia was actually the location of the 20th century's first genocide between the years of 1904 and 1907. During this time Namibia was known as "German South-West Africa". The genocide  targeted two tribes in particular: the Herero tribe and the Namaqua tribe. In August of 1904 the Herero people rebelled against German colonial rule, thus beginning Germany's first genocide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herero_and_Namaqua_Genocide

Today, there are still South Africans in Namibia. They are known as "Afrikaaners" and speak Afrikaans. As expected, there is tension between the white (Afrikaaner) Namibians and the black (native) Namibians. Afrikaaner Namibians tend to have more money and often go to private schools that only they can afford. It has been my experience that the Afrikaaners do not like to associate with black Namibians. The two entities seem to be very segregated.

This history does effect me to a certain degree. For instance: because I am white it is automatically assumed that I speak Afrikaans. In fact, the kids I work with at KAYEC often ask me, "Do people in America speak Afrikaans?" It is also assumed that I am rich (this is more because I am American than that I resemble Afrkaaners). Children and adults alike will run up to me on the street and ask for money or food. I get proposed to daily and asked if I can take them back to America with me.

The Afrikaaners generally do not speak to me. They don't understand why I would leave America to come help black Namibians.

There is quite a bit of Tribalism present in Namibia. Although, all the separate tribes identify as Namibian they do not always associate with the other tribes. It is my experience that each tribe holds a certain pride that their tribe is the best tribe. This is human nature, of course. It's just an interesting dynamic. Also, the different tribes often have different segments of the location they live in.

Gender equality is a major issue here. The country has been working on this and has made great strides, however, it is normal for individual's to adhere to classic gender roles. For example: it is common for only women to do housework, such as cooking, cleaning, etc. It is viewed as shameful and un-manly for a man to be seen doing these activities. Children are not permitted to play with the opposite sex. Girls must play with girls and boys must play with boys. The job market is very gender based as well. It is not common that you will see people working in jobs outside their gender roles. Men are taxi drivers, for instance. While women sell baked goods or work in markets.

http://www.kas.de/upload/auslandshomepages/namibia/Women_Custom/ambunda.pdf

The gender norms have effected me some. I recall a specific example when I was moving out of my host family's house. My host father was helping me load my bags. I picked up one of the heavier bags and put it in the back of the vehicle. My host father told me that girls must not lift heavy things. I told him that sometimes you have to do what you have to do. He then began explaining to me that it is disrespectful for me to lift heavy things in the presence of a man who could lift it for me. By me lifting it by myself, I am calling the man weak. This is strange for me because I am extremely self-sufficient and don't like asking for help unless I actually cannot do it by myself. It has taken some adjustment on my part, but I've gotten better.

I know this post has been long. Thanks for reading!
Stay tuned for next time :)
Also. If you have any questions about Namibia, my life in Namibia or just want to keep in touch... feel free to email me!
Raelyn89@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment