Pages

Welcome to the written depiction of my Namibian Experience with the Peace Corps! This blog will document the crazy adventure that I have embarked upon. I hope this blog will serve as a means to keep my family and friends updated on my adventures in Namibia, as well as, aid future volunteers in any way possible.

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving Feasts

Happy Thanksgiving!!

As much as I wish I were at home eating myself into a stupor with my family and loved ones, I’m excited to be here, sharing this holiday with other volunteers who are from all over the US.

A couple of weeks ago I went to a volunteer thanksgiving get together in the south. Our “Nam-Thanksgiving” was a hit. There were some Namibians there and at least 20 volunteers. Being with people from all different backgrounds and cultures who all share similar traditions for this holiday is quite amazing. It gave us a kind of cohesion through all of our vast diversities. Learning the traditions that the other’s miss from Thanksgivings spent with their own families was also intriguing. One of my favorite parts was sharing the history and meaning of Thanksgiving with the Namibians.

This weekend I’m going to another “Nam-Thanksgiving” in another part of the country. I can’t wait! NomNomNom

For the past couple of weeks I haven’t had any work to do... at all… My main job (KAYEC) has been on leave since basically the beginning of November for the holiday season. I attempted to get involved with some different groups around my town but, as it turns out, they are also finished until next year. Sooooo I’ve been a little bored and trying to keep busy. Mostly this entails doing small crafty type things to decorate my flat (you’d be amazed at the things you can create with yarn….). I go on walks. Watch T.V. shows (White Collar’s Matt Bomer is the most devastatingly gorgeous human being that has ever existed). And of course I’ve been reading a lot. Riveting… I know. This is my life.

Other than that, I’m just waiting for my vacation in December! Some other volunteers and I are going to a couple towns along the coast of Namibia and then we’ll also spend a few days in the Capital. While we’re in one of the coastal towns we’re going to go skydiving. I might die. From nerves. Or excitement. I’m not sure which, yet. I’ll keep you posted on that.

I know this post wasn’t the most exciting thing you’ve ever read. But… this is my life. I can’t be exciting all the time. Deal with it :)

 Happy Holidays my politically correct readers! 

You'll actually look forward to your morning commute. Life is calling. How far will you go? Learn more about the Peace Corps

No comments:

Post a Comment