Pages

Welcome to the written depiction of my Namibian Experience with the Peace Corps! This blog will document the crazy adventure that I have embarked upon. I hope this blog will serve as a means to keep my family and friends updated on my adventures in Namibia, as well as, aid future volunteers in any way possible.

Sunday, July 13, 2014

World Hunger

Hey guys, 
Many of you know by now that I'm considering extending my Peace Corps Service for an extra year. In an effort to better explain my rationale behind this decision I've written the following .... essay? short story?  I'm not sure what it is. I've written a few of them on various aspects of my life over the years but I thought this one needed to be shared. I hope this helps you understand what this decision truly means to me. 
World Hunger
Have you ever felt like you HAD to do something? Like deciding to do it was the RIGHT thing? Like you were meant to do it? Like every minuscule moment and every important memory in your life was specifically designed to prepare you for this undeniable destiny? Like the elaborate story of your life was written long before your being was ever conceived of and you've finally figured out the plot? Like every heart break you thought you'd never survive, every devastatingly disappointing experience, every laugh, every tear, every piece of thread you've had to use to stitch yourself back together again was all a stone on the winding path you were designed to walk? 
It's like that. I've seen where my labyrinth is trying to lead me;
where it NEEDS me to go. 
Most people have this feeling of unwavering certainty about more conventional life goals: marriage, children, 2 car garage, etc. I've never been certain about any of those. For me, the feeling is like an instant gratification telling me I'm on the right path after I've decided to pursue something. My feeling of undeniable certainty allowed me to feel conviction in my decision to drop out of high school. It gave me the courage to get my GED and start community college. It gave me the knowledge that I needed to get a degree in social work. It told me I'd need to succeed in achieving my master's degree. It led me to Gamma Phi Beta. It was there, lighting a fire deep inside my gut, the first time I heard about Peace Corps. It slowly kindled the embers over the years until the time came to apply for the program and the fire surged back to life with a vengeance. Now, as I contemplate extending a third year in Peace Corps, the feeling of absolute certainty is a roaring inferno consuming my entire being.  
Intense, right? 
My dad once told me he felt his children had great potential to be someone of grand importance one day. I think he was right. The ultimate meaning behind the creation of my existence is to make a difference. I believe my life's battle will be forged in the name of oppression. It has become my responsibility to lift shield and sword for women who are beaten for their individuality rather than valued for their brilliance; to give voice to children's cries of pain and hunger; to unscrew the cap of the tightly bottled screams of fear inside gay men and women. The world is hungry and so am I- for equality.  
I want to show women what it means to be independent and successful. I want to take a child's hands in my own and show them their voice matters and they can be heard. I want to teach them how to make a difference; that they aren't limited to their village. I want to teach men how beautiful it can be to work with women when they are respected and valued. It's my passion to join the global fight for human rights. 
 I know these battles can, and need to be fought back home. The simple fact is that these people need me more. My impact reaches a far greater distance here. All of this is not to say I've made the decision already. I still have a lot of variables to consider. All I'm trying to portray is the intense feeling that I'm MEANT to stay. 

I hope that helps some of you to understand a little better.
Until next time, Readers!

You'll actually look forward to your morning commute. Life is calling. How far will you go? Learn more about the Peace Corps

No comments:

Post a Comment