Pages

Welcome to the written depiction of my Namibian Experience with the Peace Corps! This blog will document the crazy adventure that I have embarked upon. I hope this blog will serve as a means to keep my family and friends updated on my adventures in Namibia, as well as, aid future volunteers in any way possible.

Friday, September 26, 2014

Holiday Adventure


**Disclaimer** 
This blog post contains pictures of a semi-nude nature. It is the way of the Himba tribe women and is purely cultural. If semi-female nudity is offensive or inappropriate to your beliefs please choose another blog post to enjoy. 
Ahoy! 
In August, I was a facilitator for a week long workshop called Camp GLOW (Girls and Guys Leading Our World). It was an absolute joy to be apart of. If you want more info on the basics of GLOW check out one of my earlier blogs by clicking here. Check out this video too. It will without a doubt give you goosebumps. I can't put into words the effect this camp had on the kids and facilitators, alike. Kids who were shy and timid when they arrived, blossomed into opinionated, self-confident individuals. Many were teary eyed and distressed to leave the Camp on the last day. It was a week of 80 learner's and 30 facilitators all growing, learning and loving together. Pure beauty. 

After the camp ended, I went on a small vacation with my friend and her parents. We went all the way up north, almost to Angola, to her village, Onahmanama. While there, we attended a traditional Owambo wedding. It was definitely an amazing cultural experience. Then we headed West to Ruacana Falls. As it's the dry season, the falls where almost completely dried up, but we were able to tour a traditional Himba Village and go white water rafting.
Here are some pictures of the Himba family we were able to meet!!

Baby Himba! 

Himba Hut!

Dad and baby! 

The whole family! Also: Those wooden things in the front of the frame are pillows. Only the man is allowed to use them as a sign of status/respect


Random Himba fact #36: When Himba women come of age their front two teeth are knocked out and it's viewed as a sign of beauty. Ouch

And Here are a couple pictures of my me and my friend gaining some arm muscle on the rapids! 



Okay ladies and gents. That's all for now. be looking for another blog post in the near to immediate future. 
You'll actually look forward to your morning commute. Life is calling. How far will you go? Learn more about the Peace Corps

No comments:

Post a Comment