Pages

Welcome to the written depiction of my Namibian Experience with the Peace Corps! This blog will document the crazy adventure that I have embarked upon. I hope this blog will serve as a means to keep my family and friends updated on my adventures in Namibia, as well as, aid future volunteers in any way possible.

Thursday, May 15, 2014

FINALLY! Another post...

I know it's been forever. Sorry guys. I've really been unmotivated to write in my blog lately. I"m working on it. buuut I've also been pretty busy. The end of term 1 for the learners that I'm teaching was stressful, but then I got a whole MONTH off. I spent most of that in bed. Naturally. However, I did spend one week of it on vacation with another lovely volunteer who I will hence forth refer to as Amy Farrah Fowler. Just because I want to and I'm only slightly obsessed with The Big Bang Theory. 
Most of my vacations end up being ridiculous and full of stories and this one was no different. We decided to rent a car. A manual car. In Namibia. This may not be a big deal to you, but neither myself, nor Amy Farrah Fowler have driven any car in over a year and neither one of us is well versed in the art of driving a manual. Not to mention many of the Namibian roads we were on were either complete sand or gravel. Our car, who I affectionately named George so I could curse at it when I couldn't get him into gear, was approximately 5 centimeters off the ground. and definitely was NOT a 4x4. Needless to say. We got stuck. 
To top it off on the very first day of our trip Amy Farrah Fowler left her wallet in a taxi in Windhoek (the Capitol). It had all of her money, all of her credit cards, and her driver's license. Awesome. This means that I had to drive George for (almost, Shhhh) the entirety of our trip. ugh. At the same time Amy Farrah Fowler left her wallet, I also left my cell phone. Well, one of them, anyway. I eventually was able to get in contact with the taxi driver and ended up getting my phone back buy Amy Farrah Fowler's money and ID were long gone. Shizah. 
Although, the trip started off kind of rocky, we ended up having a blast. We were able to go to Luderitz ( a southern coastal town in Namibia) and enjoy a Crayfish Festival. Since I hail from Louisiana (holla) I was unbelievably excited for this. However, I didn't realize that there is, in fact, a difference in Crawfish and Crayfish. Crayfish are HUGE! and delicious. 

While in Luderitz Amy Farrah Fowler and I were also able to go on a cruise and see the legendary AFRICAN PENGUINS! 


After Luderitz we headed to Sossusvlei, to climb the sand dunes. That is HARD work guys. Once we made it to the top Amy Farrah Fowler and I tried to do some yoga and sweet jumps. Amy Farrah Fowler was much better than me.... Check it
Like a new born bird trying to fly... 

We also went to Swakopmund (another coastal city of Namibia where I went skydiving last year). While there, we went sand boarding! I really think I'm getting into extreme sports :) Although, I was complete rubbish at sand boarding. Oh well. 


Other than that, our trip consisted of a lot of cursing and stressing out while trying not to stall George on a hill, laughing at my imaginative threats, just laughing in general, losing money, losing phones, breaking phones, losing almost all my underwear (that sound R rated but I promise it's PG), eating sooo much good food. Mexican included WHAAAA! yeah. Me singing a lot. I do that. about random things. Kind of like Marshall from How I Met Your Mother if you're cool enough to watch that. but yeah. That's my life. 

In other news just really quick. The second term has started and it looks like I'm going to have a lot less behavioral issues from my Grade 8's and 9's (YAYAYAYAY). This is in part due to some positive reinforcement programs I've started in my classroom. 

Also if you've read through this slew of crap to this point, another project I'm looking into is getting some stuff for my kids at KAYEC. I want to get a grant for story books (teen/young adult, non-fiction), sports equipment (soccer balls, pumps, etc), and games/puzzles for ages 12-18. I have to have so much of the materials donated, enter the reason for this paragraph. If you are interest in donating anything just email me: Raelyn89@gmail.com. Thanks a heap :)

Toodles ya'll. 

You'll actually look forward to your morning commute. Life is calling. How far will you go? Learn more about the Peace Corps

1 comment:

  1. So glad to see you are enjoying our country! Shame about the lost wallet, you were very lucky on the phone. A couple of my friends were also at the crayfish festival and said it was good this year, even the weather cooperated. I'm glad to hear you're having so much progress with the students.

    ReplyDelete