Pages

Welcome to the written depiction of my Namibian Experience with the Peace Corps! This blog will document the crazy adventure that I have embarked upon. I hope this blog will serve as a means to keep my family and friends updated on my adventures in Namibia, as well as, aid future volunteers in any way possible.

Friday, May 16, 2014

From high school drop out to Peace Corps Volunteer

Recently, one of my good friends over here (Amy Farrah Fowler from the previous post) heard my story and declared that it needed to be shared. 

I never planned on college after high school. Honestly, I didn't think there was any way I would ever have the skills to actually graduate. I truly thought I wasn't smart enough. I figured trying would only end up as a waste of time, waste of money, and in the end it would steal the meager amount of confidence I couldn't afford to lose. However, I've always been somewhat of a forward thinker and around my junior year of high school I started doing some serious searching for what my life would be once I crossed the stage. I've always had a passion for traveling and absorbing other cultures, so naturally I was looking into working on cruise ships/airlines.

 It was around this time my dad mentioned the Peace Corps to me. I still don't know if this was a strategic move on his part or just blind luck. You see, education is a strong passion of my father's and he has always encouraged his kids to go as far as they can where education is concerned. I think it was really hard for him to hear that I didn't even want to try after high school. Once I started researching the Peace Corps and attended a conference hosted by a recruiter who was a previous volunteer himself, I learned that (in most cases) you have to have a degree. I didn't know it at the time, but learning that information would ultimately change the course of my life.  

Que the drama. Seeing as this story is set in high school, you didn't think it would be anything other than dramatic, did you? Well, I hope you're ready. 

My sophomore year I joined our school's gymnastic team, despite the evil hag of a coach I had to endure. This woman was truly the second most awful human being I've ever met (and believe me, I've met my fair share of monstrous human beings). She actually encouraged us to be anorexic. Making snide comments about our weight. Like you're not already self-conscious enough as a high school female?? I remember one time, one of my teammates asked her how you get rid of love handles. Can  you believe the complete waste of human skin said, "push away from the table"?! I repeat: hag. 

Anyway. Now that you understand how truly awful she was, I can continue. The first semester of my senior year the hag started spreading rumors about me. I have this genetic skin condition that causes sores from time to time. it was especially awful during adolescence, obviously. Puberty is a cruel mistress. Well the hag took it upon herself to go to the school counselor  and they collectively decided that I must get a note from a doctor that I'm not contagious before I'm allowed to come back to school. Lovely. I'm standing in line at lunch time to get my last homecoming dance ticket when I see my step mom walking toward me with the counselor in her shadow. Naturally, I'm completely confused. I end up being out of school for three days so I can get an appointment and get a piece of paper stating something that we all already knew. Hag. 

Once I was deemed eligible to return to class, I learned that while I was out the hag decided to tell the rest of the gymnastics team some very disturbing, very untrue things about me. Like I have staph infection (this part was actually kind of true). Like I'm highly contagious. Like if I were to get on a piece of gymnastics equipment and then one of my teammates got on the same equipment, they could get staph from me. and it could KILL THEM. Seriously. Awesome. I immediately went to the office and called my dad. He was LIVID. 

I soon became a social pariah. I mean... the other kids literally thought I could kill them. This is not what I needed. I was already struggling with severe depression. Great. Now I'm the best super villain that's never existed and can kill people by simply existing. hag. 

I'll save you from the long drawn out process, but after much deliberation and consideration, my dad made a deal with me. He said that he would sign the dropout papers if I got my GED and at least made it through one semester of college. We shook on it. 

The next day my dad and I were at the school talking to the principal and filling out the papers. Dad wanted to sue the school, the hag and everyone involved but I told him not to worry about it. We didn't really have the money for that kind of court case anyway. And besides. I'm a true believer in Karma. 

When I went back to turn in my books I went by the hag's office to pick up my gymnastics t-shirt that I had already paid for. Can you believe the hag hugged me. She actually friggin hugged me. I should have pulled her close and whispered into her ear, "I've infected you. You will die in three days." Idiot. 

I dropped out of high school in November 2006. I got my GED and was enrolled in community college by January 2007. In 2011 I crossed the stage for the first time with my Bachelor's of Social Work. In 2012 I made my second walk for my Master's of Social Work. I was officially accepted into the Peace Corps program in December 2012 and was sworn in as a volunteer on May 7, 2013.

 Dreams do come true. 
You'll actually look forward to your morning commute. Life is calling. How far will you go? Learn more about the Peace Corps

2 comments:

  1. The hag told me I'd fall off the beam of I kept eating chips. And people wonder why I was bulimic. I LOVED gymnastics so very much but hated her. I miss you. I miss our talks. And I really miss your face :) My life is lame with you so far away but I'm really proud of you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I had a touch of bulimia too. I miss you too! we should chat more. I know we always say that, but we really should!! love you <3

    ReplyDelete