Pages

Welcome to the written depiction of my Namibian Experience with the Peace Corps! This blog will document the crazy adventure that I have embarked upon. I hope this blog will serve as a means to keep my family and friends updated on my adventures in Namibia, as well as, aid future volunteers in any way possible.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Ignorance and Influence

Hey hippies, 

so this post is going to be more of a rant than anything else because this is about something that drives me crazy almost every single day over here. 

The word Nigger. or Nigga. 

Yes. I used the actual words. I know that's asking for a beating, but A) I'm in Africa and B) I use those terms because those are the terms my kids (and the general community) over here use so often because they don't understand the difference. Because no one ever taught them what the word means in the first place. 

As Americans we don't realize the effect we have on other people/cultures/behaviors around the ENTIRE world. I never realized this until I came here, but it's really unbelievable how far our influence can stretch, whether we mean for it to or not. 

Now, I understand the importance behind the black communities in America taking back the word and making it their own. I mean... I understand as much as a white, straight, woman who's never been suppressed enough to have to take back a negative term and make it my own can. But these kids and communities over here just see our movies and see our celebrities saying these things and they have no idea what it means. They're blind to the significance and the weight of the history behind what's being said. All they know is that the cool black guy in the movie who they look up to says it so it must just be something that cool people say. 

We are literally breeding ignorance in other countries because we're ignorant of our own influence. 

Whenever I hear someone say it over here, I simply ask, "Do you know what the word means?" The answer is always no. I then begin to give them a short history lesson on the weight that word contains, which is so hard to sum up in a few short minutes. 

I know this is something that will most likely never change. But if you're a Black American (or even a really brave/stupid non-Black American) who uses that word, next time you say it stop and think about the people on the other side of the globe and the ignorance that's there because of us. 

Rant over. Just think about it. 

Ps. As I'm about to post this blog a group of Namibian 8th graders comes into my English class room saying, "what up, niggers" and everyone laughs. It breaks my heart. It really does. 

You'll actually look forward to your morning commute. Life is calling. How far will you go? Learn more about the Peace Corps

No comments:

Post a Comment